I walked into our newsroom and picked up a copy of the Journal-World and the University Daily Kansan. But when I left to walk across the street to Borders on a coffee and newspaper run, I saw that the stack of J-Ws – which is never empty – was, in fact, empty. Our staffers raided it.
So I left to get the NYT, and if possible, the Kansas City Star. They were sold out at Borders. They were sold out at St
arbucks. Across the city, honor boxes are empty. And other papers are increasing their runs and making extra copies. People want newspapers as historic record. They want them for their news.They might go online everyday, but this shows that papers are still relevant. After all, it's just not the same printing out an article to show your kids and grandkids.
Personally, I've sent my friends in Chicago on a mission to grab a copy of today's Trib and Sun-Times.
UPDATE: Of course, I would be remiss not to mention other recent events that have sparked similar rushes on news stands: The Phillies' World Series victory created such a high demand that Philly papers printed more. The Journal-World and Kansan both printed thousands more copies after KU won the NCAA basketball championship. People still like having that tangible thing in their hands...even if they can't admit it.
No comments:
Post a Comment