Saturday, November 28, 2009

On hockey jerseys, and why the Missouri Mavericks should change theirs

This past Friday I checked out the new minor league hockey team near Kansas City, the Missouri Mavericks. It was a good game, with a lively crowd, lots of goals and fights, making for an entertaining evening.

It was nice to see hockey back in Kansas City, which has been without a professional hockey team since the lame Outlaws voluntarily folded a few years ago. Before that, KC enjoyed the IHL's Blades, which folded in 1999. And it was years prior to the Blades 1990 debut that KC had the short-lived Scouts, which by way of Denver, became the successful New Jersey Devils.

The Mavericks game was fun, but the jersey and mascot were lame. The main attraction on the powder blue and orange/gold? jersey is a cartoonish horse brandishing a hockey stick. It's been played out, and some folks have observed its resemblance to the logos of the Kentucky Thoroughblades and the hated Denver Broncos.

(UPDATE: It may interest some readers that the inaugural Thoroughblades team was actually the last Blades team. They pretty much picked up and moved to Kentucky.)











My biggest problem, I think, is that the Missouri Mavericks name has no real tie to Missouri, Kansas City or the town the team plays in, Independence. Not that I can say the Chiefs, Royals (though the name hearkens to the old Monarchs of the Negro Leagues), Blades, Outlaws or myriad other teams that have called Kansas City home have either (though the Scouts and perennial ABA start-up Stars do.)

So I've taken it upon myself to start an Internet campaign to change the name of the Missouri Mavericks hockey team to something like the a) Missouri 33s, b) Independence 33s, or c) Independence Independents (Go Indies!).

33s? you ask...Well, Independence is the hometown of our 33rd president, Harry S. Truman. Why not honor the man who has given the town so much? It's a cool name and could make a cool jersey, as evidenced (or not) by my below attempts at Photoshop.

The Independents name is just fun to say.

But all the jerseys I've attempted to design have one thing in common: A red, white and blue scheme that is in tune with the flags of Missouri, Kansas City and the United States. Both names - 33s and Independents - have an air of Americana in them. "33" honors a revered leader. "Independents," like Mavericks (only cooler), refers to the pioneering spirit that helped found the Kansas City area.

So this is it! A grassroots campaign to kill Mav the Maverick (may he join Chilly the Chipmunk in mascot heaven), and to bring on a relevant name for our local hockey team. Plus, it would give Steve Bell a cooler name to say when the team scores. (SIGN THE PETITION!)

Below are what I envision being, in order, the home and away jerseys of the 33s - the away jerseys would resemble the Rangers' uniforms (again, limited Photoshop skills here); and two away jerseys for the Independents, aka the Indies.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

uhhh.....no.

I agree with a name change, but the Missouri 33's?

People are going to look at that and be even more dumbfounded than they were when they read the 'Missouri Mavericks'. I highly doubt anyone is going to care that much to search for the meaning, and the only way people are going to know what the 33 stands for is if they are given a history lesson on it before each game...


Independence Independents sounds good, but this isn't a poetry contest, and god only knows how many newscasters/sports broadcasters are going to fumble up in saying that name.


Personally I thought the Independence Ice Hawks was a fine name, and much better than any other choices out of the final 10 (definetely better than the Mavericks....)

As for the jersey color, the powder blue is a good fit. People love the powder blues of the Royals, and most of the Chargers fans who live in KC (why dont they just leave??) seem to faavor the powder blues when they wear them, at least the ones i see.


All in all I do agree a name change must happen, especially the logo. The Denver Broncos resembelance is horrifying.

Clint said...

is this post in jest? awful idea, imo. it's a small-time hockey team.. the horrible name/jersey comes with the territory.. you can't legitimize them, it'd be awkward.. and "independence independents"... really? fail.

Alex Parker said...

@Clint, hey it was Thanksgiving weekend, and I had some time on my hands. No, it's not in jest. Small-time hockey can be fun, entertaining and relevant, while avoiding lame mascots, etc.

You'll come around once the Indies take the ice. I'm confident in that.

I'm actually impressed anybody read this. Comment away.

Alex Parker said...

2:48, I dig the powder blue, too. But the dark blue resembles the state flag. Maybe too close to KU colors for some folks?

Are there many Chargers fans in KC? Who knew?

I think 33s is a cool name. A few teams have been named after numbers: Houston Colt .45s and the Ottawa 67s.

Ice Hawks? That could have been any team in any city. Personally, I like it when teams use something from their city with which to identify themselves. (Though it didn't work too well w/ the KC Wizards (nee The Wiz). Or T-Bones, for that matter. But that's just my opinion)

By the way, I just read that the Chiefs were named for former KC Mayor Roe "Chief" Bartle, who helped secure the team.

Mary said...

I was at the game Friday night as well--definitely a fun time. I also agree that the jersey could have been so much better. I'm not a fan of the baby blue/orange combo, and the horse just looks silly. Definitely not a tough or threatening look at all.

A maverick is someone who goes his own way, so in that sense, it does connect to the idea of being "independent." But I thought Mavericks were supposed to be tough rebels, cowboys, or something along those lines? Not a cartoon horse.

I know Trailblazers is an NBA name, but that could have made a neat tie-in to the start of the Oregon Trail.

Actually, the name Mavericks isn't that bad. I think they just came up with a crappy mascot and colors to go along with it.

Anonymous said...

The name doesn't need to be changed. I agree about the logo and colors, but seriously man, its minor league hockey...

Anonymous said...

Do realize that The Missouri Mavericks are an attempt to start a grassroots movement to generate interest in hockey in the Kansas City area. We've got this fantastic Sprint Center which won't generate REAL interest from an NHL team until we are on the hockey map.

The Mavs target the T-Bones/Nascar crowd (i support this claim by pointing your attention to the early press conferences, "we're going to have the most fights in the league"…hockey purists would say that while fights are entertaining, winter Olympic hockey which has no fights is top notch). Now, I understand this...they need to start somewhere and they need to generate a fan base...let's face it--fights are the crash of Nascar and they are cool. Even seasoned Hockey Fans will support that.

As for the logo, jersey, etc. The Mavericks turned to the public...which wasn't a great idea. As sad as I was to hear “Mavericks” was chosen, I secretly hoped that Tina Fey would, in her Palin voice, introduce the team... "and here come your Missouri Maaaaaaavericks!"

I think the blogger has got some great ideas here and I'd like to see the Mav's spend some time looking at it seriously. "GO INDIES" has a great sound to it. To be concerned about an announcer messing that up is silly...the ring of "Missouri Maverick Goal" isn't nearly as fun as "Indies Score!" ... of course we are forgetting the, "this goal brought to the Gastrointestinal Doctors, the number 1 in the number 2 business."

Should the Mav's change their name? Yes. Should they change their jersey? yes. Why--a more exciting name=more interest. More traditional jersey=honors yesterday's hockey & helps to legitimize hockey in KC.

With all this said, I truly hope that the team succeeds. They are fun to watch. They seem to draw a good crowd. The prices are right (certainly the sponsors help…but the beer is still STEEP). I want to see minor league hockey stimulate a real conversation in the next five years for an NHL team. We can easily be a Major and Minor Hockey League town (we already are...Royals and T-Bones).

Alex Parker said...

I've enjoyed reading your comments. Thanks for the feedback.

Here's my final point: The color scheme, in my view, looks like a bowl of melted sherbet. Delicious, yes, but not for me. The name and mascot are just so "meh." I do like the alliteration of Missouri Mavericks, and per Mary's comment, the maverick//independence connection.

But I think it should elicit some feelings of civic pride, or loyalty. That's what was great, in my opinion, about the Scouts' uniforms. The colors mirrored the KCMO and Missouri flags (with a touch of yellow), and the mascot, the Scout, is a civic monument.

The powder blue of the Royals is a nod to the days when the Royals were a source of civic pride. (Side note: I'm not sure if the previous poster was calling KC a major and minor league town solely because of the Royals).

The names, imagery and color schemes I devised circle back to the foundations of the community. Now, I know most CHL names - and probably many minor league hockey/sports names - are silly. Lansing Lugnuts, anyone?

But in my view, the most stirring mascots, the ones that bring the most emotion and loyalty are often the ones that stem from local history. Take the Jayhawks, for example.

Lastly, I'll say that the Mavericks' logo is not the first lame-o in KC history. I submit to you both Blades' logos (the last one being the absolute worst); the Outlaws; the Wiz and for a while, UMKC. Now they have a mean looking kangaroo.

So does anyone else have ideas for names or logos? I'd love to see them.

@MoHockey said...

Thanks for a thought-provoking post.

As the “Unofficial Twitter” for the Missouri Mavericks, I have to agree that the logo and colors are not well liked by the fan base. Pretty much across the board fans have told me they hate both. Many compare them to the much-hated Denver Broncos, the NFL rival to the Chiefs from just down I-70.

People have also shared that the only thing worse than the mascot picture is the mascot in real life. He’s a bit top-heavy and goofy looking, and people only like him when he is throwing t-shirts into the crowd.

As for the name, I think most fans have become accustomed to it. Let’s fact it, Mavericks is better than the “Mudbugs” or some other name that would be REALLY difficult to get behind.

Should the team change its name. Probably not.

Should it change the mascot and colors? Definitely.

Daniel J. Doughty said...

I'm definitely for a name change. It's not easy to chant and gets my liberal friends all up in arms. If they don't go, I don't go...

LordStanleyUSA said...

Don't like the colors or the pissed off horse. But hey, we have pro hockey in KC! So I will support them to the fullest.

The name isn't going change so let't all just focus on attending games and supporting our team.

We do need a mascot who can skate however. I will take the reins (pun intended) if given the chance.

Anonymous said...

We are Denver haters... but I dont care what name and colors... at the grand opening we purchased jerseys for my whole family. Have any of you been to a game... the crowd is full of the team colors! You can not really be serious about changing the colors or the name - that will def piss off alot of fans! The public picked it and we need to support what we have if we ever want to see NHL come to KC. NO ONE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY WITH THE TEAM name or colors. But again, honestly, go to a game and see how many fans are supporting this team - the crowd is full of the team colors. GET OVER IT!

Alex Parker said...

Totally serious, and I'll never get over it!

People seem pretty happy with the Chiefs' and Royals' colors. Maybe because they don't look like melted ice cream.

Anonymous said...

I think the logo and colors are great. Only change I want to see is get some Orange alternate jerseys.

In fact the powder blue and orange look so good together Im working on a graphic scheme to have my car wrapped in those colors.

Someone said they liked the IceHawks name better well the International Hockey League (formerly the UHL that the Outlaws played in) has the Port Huron IceHawks http://www.porthuronicehawks.com/ looks like a horrible logo to me.

viagra online said...

I will tell you that I was in Friday's game as well - definitely a fun time. I also agree that the shirt could have been much better. I'm not a fan of baby blue / orange combo, and the horse just looks silly.

Anonymous said...

well my comment is coming in way way late. lol.. i went to some of the games last year, and went to one tonight. i noticed i preferred the shirts/jerseys that were black mostly, and had the mascot on them. when there isnt an overload of the orange and blue, and there is that nice base to cover the most of the shirt or jersey, it isn't so overwhelming. there were white ones too, and the team itself's main color was white, with the logo and a little orange and blue here and there. that, to me, makes it much more bearable.

call me lame, but my personal view of a mascot, is really more entertainment for kids, anyway. children love seeing a big animal dancing and looking funny. it would be nice for him to be able to skate, but i think it might be difficult to see with that giant head on.

all in all, i think the name is ok. the mascot could be anything, but it is no less lame than the chiefs mascot. and as for the colors, like i said as long as its got a mostly white or mostly black base, i think its just fine. i just loves me some hockey!!! lol so really i dont care WHAT they wear or what their name is. so yay for our team! hehe, but then, i'm easy to please, i guess :)

Anonymous said...

Two words for a name change - the Independence Bombers.

Cory said...

How about the Independence Pioneers, Frontiersmen or Saints. Any of these would be better choices. Pioneers and Frontiersmen from the fact that Independence is the start of the Santa Fe,California and Oregon trails. Saints because of the Latter Day Saints movement

Anonymous said...

I would submit the Kansas City Express as a name. With a pony express rider as a logo. Which has some roots to the area. You can keep the Horse mascot. I don't mind the colors.

Anonymous said...

The mascot's name is MAC. He is for little kids. Get over it. Wanna see a bad mascot? Look at the Stanford Yule Tree. THAT is a bad mascot.
The Mavericks are awesome. Their logo, mascot, name ect were chosen by the community, which helped build publicty and public support.
Their fans adore them, they have the second best attendence in the league.
People in Indep EFFING KNOW about Truman. WE KNOW ALL about Truman. We have many, many, many things that are a tribute to Truman. Including a jersey that has been retired as 33 in his honor. We don't need to name the team after them too.

Alex Parker said...

Anonymous, you're a bit late to the party, and you clearly enjoy the team. That's great. The Mavericks aren't going to change because I wrote about this item on my blog, which nobody read until I wrote about it. The last two times I saw them, it looked like they had new jerseys from last year, and I liked them; I live in Chicago and only see them when I'm home for the holidays. Take a deep breath. Exhale. Repeat. Enjoy the games.