Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A question for Twitter-heads

OK, so I get the premise of Twitter, but at the same time I don't. While I don't have many important things to do, I know that I do have more important things to do than to subscribe to a Twitter feed. I don't have a Blackberry or a phone w/ Web capabilities. I check the news when I need to: Every few hours I'll check out the Chicago Tribune, Lawrence Journal-World or Kansas City Star to learn what I need to. I see Yahoo's homepage every half hour or so. So, Twitter, what up? What's your deal?

Furthermore, per Mindy McAdams' post about the future newshound, does Twitter provide location-specific feeds? Say I live in Kansas City, Mo., or Lawrence, Kan., or the boondocks of Nova Scotia, can I find feeds from my area? I'm curious. Sell me on Twitter. I dare you. (Also, you can subscribe to my Twitter feed at http://twitter.com/parkeral.

2 comments:

Mary Specht said...

One of the most fascinating features of Twitter, to me, is the ability to track keywords. If you track, say, your favorite band, you can find some neat Twitter-based buzz you may not have otherwise heard.

Text "track word" where "word" is the keyword to Twitter to begin tracking. Text "untrack word" to stop tracking that word.

Alex Parker said...

OK...but I feel like that means I'll get notifications every time some says "I'm listening to Wilco," or "Going to see Wilco," or "Roger Wilco."

I like to think of myself as a forward-thinking individual, but I just can't grasp Twitter as a function that is that useful. Anyone know how many users worldwide it has? I'm trying here, folks, I really am.