The Chicago Tribune has a really interesting story today about a school shooting that took place 20 years ago in the North Shore suburb of Winnetka. It recaps the heartwrenching event, which took place inside Hubbard Woods Elementary School. The story was hampered by the reluctance of those who lived the event to go on record.
For me, it was a must-read. I grew up for a time in Winnetka; my brother attended Hubbard Woods, just five years after the shooting. I knew kids who were there; I knew kids who were shot by the assailant. But we never talked about it. It was taboo. The pain that this community felt was masked by the grind of daily life, but it was there. Why else would nobody talk about it?
It's so sad to think of all the little children, whose lives were changed forever by this event.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment