Thursday, April 24, 2008

RIP Christy Bradford

One of my favorite professors here at KU, Christy Bradford, passed away today. She died of a heart attack. I was in the newsroom when I heard the news, and I was shocked. I didn't know Professor Bradford well, but I respected her and enjoyed the conversations we had.

She came to KU from the Detroit News, where she presided as ME over a Pulitzer Prize in 1994. Her experience, in fact, is one of the main reasons I came to KU. This may be one more example of how that was a bad idea. (Here is the News' obituary.)

Professor Bradford and I last spoke last week when I asked her to chair my thesis committee. She declined, citing her desire to take the spring 2009 semester off to relax. She was looking forward to it very much. When I ran some ideas by her, she sat there silently, contemplating, then fired back a million different ideas, that will, eventually, strengthen the product I put out when/if I finish the thesis project. She was a newswoman through and through.

I'll miss her mentorship, and, if I may dare say, her friendship.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Alex. My name is Matt. I'm Christy Bradford's nephew. It was very nice to read about your experience with my aunt. Thank you for your kind words. To be shown that someone you loved was loved by so many is heartwarming, to say the least. There will be a memorial service at the Ecumenical Chapel at KU on Monday at 4:30 for anyone who would like to attend.

Alex Parker said...

Thanks, Matt. I, too, am impressed by the outpouring of support and grief for Christy. I'll be there on Monday to pay my respects. My very best wishes and heartfelt condolences to your family.