There’s a huge kerfuffle in Santa Barbara you may have heard about. Long story short: The owner of the Santa Barbara News-Press, Wendy McCaw, is essentially steering the editorial side to encompass her views, much to the disdain of a shrinking readership and staff.
But that’s not deterred one young reporter from jumping on board (fourth item). Tom Risen, the son of NYT’s James Risen, is the newest hire at the Santa Barbara News-Press. I met Tom on Halloween — he was Hunter S. Thompson, I was quail huntin’ Dick Cheney — and he seemed like a good guy. He is a Medill classmate of my friend, and newbie Tribune reporter Matt Lynch. I wish Tom the best, but wonder if that culture is the best place to begin a career. It seems to me that it would be beneficial to land in a newsroom that is not rife with conflict (tough to do these days, I know), one that could truly help a young reporter become the best he could be.
I hope Tom is able to grow as a journo, but I am afraid the distractions at the paper might be overwhelming. In any case, good luck Tom!
No comments:
Post a Comment