Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sell this house!

The Wall Street Journal had an interesting story today on how some news companies are selling their historic buildings to gain capital. This is so sad to me. Maybe it's because I'm a romantic of sorts, but I think it's depressing to see city institutions giving up their long-tenured homes. The Journal speculates that Sam Zell could sell the Tribune Tower. For me, the Tribune Tower is a symbol of Chicago. To house condos instead of news is a deplorable option (plus, is there really a market in Chicago for THAT many condos? The Trump Tower, the Spire, all these other buildings going up...are there THAT many people out there who can afford this pricey living?). Of course, I don't think anyone was too sad to see the Sun-Times Building turn to rubble. It looked more like the box the Ghostbusters sucked ghosts into than an office building.

I don't like seeing historic buildings lose their meaning. But maybe that's the future of journalism anyway.

No comments: