The human torch was denied a bank loan.
This burrito is delicious. But it. Is. Filling.
FOX's foray into reality journalism is officially a flop. It's cancelled the show "Anchorwoman" after one episode. The show, which featured a hot model attempting to become a news anchor drew a pitiful 2.7 million in its debut on Wednesday. I was one of those 2.7 million.
The show was lambasted by the Mo Ryan of the Chicago Tribune, but I didn't think it was that bad. Lauren Jones, the blonde bombshell, who made waves at Tyler, Texas's KYTX came in and ruffled feather of established journalists there and I think made a point about the value of good journalism.
The show could have shown viewers that journalism is NOT something that the regular Joe can do and succeed at. It's something that's learned and something that requires passion. In the age of YouTube and blogs (ahem), "Anchorwoman" pitted the many against the few. And it showed that TV is indeed a ratings game. According to the program WTYX had sinking ratings, so it decided to engage America in this experiment, which fell on its face. I wonder how the stations ratings did in the time Jones was employed.
Journalism isn't a game. It's an essential part of our society and too often decried by the public for its supposed biases and it suffers from an unfair financial crunch. Journalists, I think, hold a special place in society and the lack of responsible journalism is a failure.
Why is it that policitians or logisticians or empty-headed celebutantes are worth more than journalists or teachers? Who is doing more to inform, educate and celebrate the average American? In a perfect world the she-won't-be-named's would have a status that pales in comparison to those who inform. Or those that build cars. Or those that fix shoes. It'll never happen, but I'm not getting into this business to get rich. I'm doing because I have to. Because the United States deserves good journalism.
Tomorrow: some cool updates about my story and j-school. Woohoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment